Buckhead is one of Georgia’s most affluent and desirable neighborhoods. Nestled in the heart of the city of Atlanta, this busy area boasts virtually endless dining, entertainment, and educational options. No matter how you want to spend your retirement, Buckhead can exceed your expectations. Here are our top picks for Buckhead seniors who crave adventure and fun.
It’s never too late to master a new skill—or to pick up that degree you always wanted. These resources expand your mind, and in so doing, they may help lower your risk of dementia:
- Georgia’s 62 or Older program offers discounted or free college or graduate-level training to residents over the age of 62 at Georgia’s public colleges. Each school boasts its own unique program. At Georgia Tech, for example, seniors can enroll in graduate-level classes for free.
- The Emory University Center for Healthy Aging offers a number of resources to educate you about safe driving and to ensure you remain a safe motorist well into old age.
Things to Do
Atlanta is the nation’s most rapidly aging city. Many seniors are moving to Buckhead to enjoy a more luxurious, active lifestyle. The city has responded with a number of resources to keep seniors active and engaged:
- Prime Time Seniors offers programming at city parks, including exercise classes, socials, and more.
- Fulton County Senior Services offers weekly classes and meet-ups, as well as special events such as concerts.
- Fulton County’s Senior Multipurpose Facilities are senior centers offering meals, classes, community, and assistance to seniors in Buckhead and throughout the metro Atlanta area.
- Quality Living Services blends activities and support, using a model of peer support. Seniors help one another remain independent, then work together to plan activities such as an annual Mardi Gras party.
Whether you have a quick question about getting older or need comprehensive support to manage the challenges of remaining independent, these services can help:
- Empowerline connects senior Atlantans to a wide range of resources, including services to help you remain in your home longer, healthcare education, volunteer opportunities, and jobs.
- The Benefits Guide for Older Georgians offers a comprehensive overview of the benefits you can access in Buckhead and throughout the state.
- The Center for Positive Aging advocates for seniors, recommends senior-friendly policies, and can connect you to helpful resources.
- MARTA, metro Atlanta’s bus and rail service, offers a reduced fare card for seniors.
- Atlanta Senior Advocates works on behalf of seniors, asserting their wishes and protecting their best interests.
- Fulton County’s collaboration with Common Courtesy offers rideshares to seniors who no longer drive.
Legal and Financial Support
The right legal and financial support can help you plan for the future and protect your assets today. These are some excellent resources:
- The Georgia Advance Directive for Health Care allows you to assert your final wishes, appoint someone to act on your behalf, and discuss with your family what you hope will happen if you become incapacitated.
- The Georgia Legal Assistance Program offers legal support and advice to seniors.
- Legal Aid Atlanta offers free legal support for a wide range of civil matters, including housing issues, care planning, and more.
Senior Living and Care
No matter what support or care you need, the right resources can help. Here are some of the most useful:
- Georgia Medicaid offers a wide range of long-term care programs, including a program that compensates family caregivers who help loved ones remain in their homes.
- Empowerline extends support to seniors who need help at home. It offers meal delivery, in-home care options, and more.
- Eldercare Locator can help you find in-home care, adult daycare, senior living, and more.
- The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program advocates for seniors in nursing homes, senior living communities, and other long-term care programs.
Renaissance on Peachtree is Buckhead’s most beloved and respected senior living community. We provide the luxurious lifestyle Buckhead residents crave, offering gourmet meals, stunning homes, and sophisticated activities for seniors of all ages and interests. We’d love to meet you and discuss how we can help you meet your retirement goals. Give us a call to learn more!