Buckhead has long been Atlanta’s premier neighborhood, boasting excellent restaurants, a vibrant music scene, and world-class shopping at places like Phipps Plaza and Lenox Square Mall. If you’re an Atlanta retiree hoping to make the most of the next few decades, independent living in Buckhead, Georgia, is a great option. The right community offers onsite access to classes and activities, without all the traffic, as well as excursions to attractions such as the High Museum of Art, the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, the Atlanta History Center, and other cultural touchstones. Here’s how to find the best luxury independent living for your needs.
Know What You Want—and Don’t Compromise
Independent living offers more opportunity to enjoy retirement, without all the traffic, expense, planning, and logistical issues that typically come with managing a full social calendar. As you begin your search for luxury independent living in Buckhead, Georgia, it’s important to be clear about what you want. Try making a list of your must-haves before you begin your search. This way you’re not tempted to compromise just because a community has only some of what you want.
Asking yourself the following questions may help guide your search:
- What kind of balance do I want between onsite activities and field trips? Do I prefer to spend most of my time in the community, or would I rather travel out into the city more often?
- Which activities are most important to me?
- What would most make me feel happy and secure in retirement? Do I need help with any daily activities?
- What are my dietary needs and preferences, and how can a community best meet them?
- What locations are most convenient? Buckhead, like all Atlanta neighborhoods, is fairly congested. Moving a mile in either direction can make a big difference in the amount of traffic you experience. This may affect your ability to visit loved ones or go on outings.
- How might my needs change over time? If I need assisted living, do I want to remain in the same community?
Get Referrals and Recommendations
As with any service, it’s best to start with recommendations from people you trust. Do any of your friends live in an independent living community? Ask around and get a list of options. Then do some reconnaissance online. Read reviews. Then check each community’s website, blog, or Facebook page. The way the community presents itself to the world reveals a lot about its culture. You’ll also gain access to key information about amenities and other offerings, helping you narrow down your list.
You wouldn’t buy a house without going to an open house and paying for an inspection. So don’t invest in a senior living community until you’ve toured it, attended a few events, and have a clear idea of what life is like there. During your tour, pay attention to the following:
- Are staff friendly and willing to answer questions?
- Do residents seem happy? Do they seem like people you could befriend?
- Is the building well-maintained?
- What sorts of activities are people doing?
- How is the food? What about the dining setting?
- Do you like the appearance of the homes? Can you imagine yourself living in an apartment at this community?
- Does the community have extra amenities, like a posh dining hall, a swimming pool, a fitness center, or meeting space?
Prepare for Your New Life of Adventure
After you’ve chosen the right community for your needs, it’s time to prepare the transition. Like all transitions, it’s normal to have mixed feelings or feel a little anxious. So be gentle with yourself, and don’t push yourself too hard. Before you move, try checking the community’s calendar of events so you have some things to look forward to. Attend events before the move, too, since this can help you make new friends before you move in. Ask loved ones to stop by and see you in the early weeks, since this can help ease the transition.
Renaissance on Peachtree offers unparalleled luxury senior living. We offer a continuum of care that includes assisted living, ensuring you can age in place. We’d love to help you plan a retirement that feels both exciting and reassuring. Give us a call to learn more!