Assisted living in Marietta gives seniors the chance to retire in a safe, active city while getting the care they need. Compared to living at home, assisted living offers many more enrichment activities, including daily opportunities to spend time with others. You might pursue a new hobby, become more active, or master a new skill, all while enjoying the temperate climate and suburban convenience of life in East Cobb. Here’s what to consider before you choose a community.
Is It Time for Assisted Living?
Gone are the days of retiring quietly to a nursing home, giving up your independence and any hope of future adventure. Assisted living offers the help you need, but without compromising your quality of life. Instead, it elevates you to greater independence and helps you remain active and social for longer, via a wide assortment of classes, special events, and other activities. So how do you know it might be time to consider assisted living? Here are some warning signs:
- A senior struggles with basic self-care, such as bathing or changing clothes.
- Activities of daily living, such as preparing food and going to the bathroom, are increasingly difficult.
- A senior is no longer safe in their home, or has recently suffered a fall.
- A senior cannot tend to their own medical needs, such as taking insulin or remembering medication.
- A senior has a chronic or progressive medical condition.
- A senior is lonely and depressed at home.
- A senior continues to drive, despite signs that it is unsafe, because they do not want to be bored or feel isolated.
What Do You Want Out of Retirement?
What does the ideal retirement look like to you? Assisted living can help you achieve your retirement dreams. If you're unsure how you’d like to spend your time, the right community can present you with a number of options. Consider making a list of what’s most important to you, including:
- The type of food you want to eat
- The living environment you hope to occupy
- Whether and how much help you need
- The activities you want to participate in every day
- Your transportation needs
- The sort of special events you want to attend
- The type of people you want to spend time with
What Are Your Assisted Living Options?
Marietta offers a wide range of assisted living options. From small, quiet communities to bustling hubs of activity, there’s something for everyone. Many communities offer a continuum of care, including support from in-home health aides if your needs change. You may also be able to transition to dementia care if you have dementia and eventually need more support. So consider how your health might shift with time, and choose a community that can meet all of your health needs, even as they evolve. Consider choosing Arbor Terrace’s award-winning community.
Tips for Touring an Assisted Living Community
Moving to senior living is an investment in your health and future. Invest wisely. Spend some time researching communities and reading reviews. Then, when you think you have a list of viable options, schedule a tour. To get the most out of this tour, schedule your visit during a meal or special event. This enables you to sample the food, meet the residents, and get a feel for the community’s culture. Try asking the following questions of the staff:
- What activities can I expect on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis?
- What food plans are available?
- Can I see a unit?
- Is there a waiting list?
- What do I need to do to initiate the application process?
- What specific help can I get?
- Are there any conditions or symptoms that would mean I had to move to a higher level of care? Does your community offer a continuum of care?
Some questions to ask yourself as you walk through the community include:
- Can I picture myself here?
- Do I feel like I fit in?
- Do I like the people?
- Is the food good?
Why Choose Assisted Living in Marietta?
East Cobb is a quiet, affluent, safe community with rising property values and exceptional schools that might entice your loved ones to move with you. There are plenty of chain and independent restaurants, and the city offers ready access to Town Center Mall, the Marietta Square, and year-round entertainment by various local theatre companies. Atlanta is just 20 minutes down I-75. Spend the weekends seeing the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, or enjoying sprawling views from Atlanta’s world-class SkyView Ferris wheel.
With so many great options in Marietta, it can be challenging to choose the one that’s right for you. Our guide, “Senior Living Demystified,” helps you choose a safe, comfortable community for assisted living in Marietta. Download it for free and begin exploring your options.