Few communities engage seniors with programs and activities at the level that Kingwood, Texas, does. Active community groups and senior programs operated through local governments and nonprofit organizations give seniors in Kingwood unparalleled access to fun activities.
Between endless activities for seniors and flexible senior living options, Kingwood has become a popular retirement community for seniors who want to meet new people, try new things, and keep a full calendar of activities.
Say ‘Hello’ to the Hi Neighbor Club of Kingwood, Texas
Formed in 1974, the Hi Neighbor Club of Kingwood has been a hub of activities for seniors in Kingwood for more than four decades. The club has nearly 40 activity groups that allow retirees to pursue different interests and meet their neighbors.
The goal of the Hi Neighbor Club of Kingwood is to help newcomers become involved in the community and meet seniors with similar interests. The club has a full calendar of events, but a few general topics include:
- Theatre Group: Traveling to theatres in the Houston area, like the Nathaniel Center in Kingwood, the theatre group has dinner at different restaurants before attending live theatre performances.
- Bookworms: Various book clubs meet at different members’ houses each month to discuss their latest reads and to catch up with their friends.
- Games: Bridge, bunco, canasta, dominoes, mah-jongg, and shanghai are a few of the games you’ll find on the Hi Neighbor Club of Kingwood’s calendar of events.
- Sports: Club members meet regularly for golf and tennis.
- Eat and Drink: Meals, happy hours, and wine tastings are great activities for seniors in Kingwood to meet and socialize with their new neighbors.
The Hi Neighbor Club of Kingwood offers an abundance of planned activities for newcomers to Kingwood with all different kinds of interests to meet and socialize with their new neighbors.
Explore More Fun Activities for Seniors in Kingwood
Retirees living in Kingwood have unparalleled access to programming and activities coordinated to keep seniors active, engaged, and healthy. Nonprofit and governmental programs offer fun activities for seniors in Kingwood on a daily basis.
From physical fitness and wellness activities catered to seniors to discounted tickets to local attractions, seniors in Kingwood are never bored:
- Get Fit: The YMCA of Greater Houston offers fitness classes specifically designed for older adults; classes include water exercise, yoga, stretching, and the Y’s trademark SilverSneakers preventive exercise program.
- Get Involved: The Kingwood Community Center hosts a range of activities for seniors in Kingwood; classes include advanced crochet, line dancing for beginners and novices, and games such as bridge and bunco.
- On the County: Harris County’s Senior Events Program offers fun activities for seniors such as game tournaments, dances, and discounted tickets to local sporting events, museums, and festivals in the Houston area.
With a wide range of activities to choose from, seniors in Kingwood can pursue their interests and explore new ones through local senior activity programs.
Fun in Kingwood: Enjoy the Great Outdoors
Parks and nature preserves in Kingwood are great places for day trips when adult children and grandchildren are in town visiting. Leisurely nature hikes, fishing, bird watching, playgrounds, picnic areas, and athletic fields can provide hours of exercise and fun activities in Kingwood.
East End Park in Kingwood is an urban nature preserve that spans nearly 160 acres. The park features 3.5 miles of developed hiking trails that make for an easy walking surface for seniors, and two miles of natural trails. Visiting families can enjoy fishing, bird-watching, and picnics there.
River Grove Park in Kingwood covers 74 acres and has a boardwalk extending over the San Jacinto River, boat access to Lake Houston, and various pavilions and picnic areas. Deer Ridge Park in Kingwood, meanwhile, has various open spaces and athletic fields where grandchildren can play.
Fun Activities in Kingwood: See for Yourself
It’s hard to find communities that welcome and engage seniors with fun activities as much as Kingwood does. The Hi Neighbor Club of Kingwood focuses on introducing newcomers to seniors with similar interests. Local and nonprofit programs have activities and events planned in Kingwood throughout the week. And Kingwood’s natural beauty and park system provide a great way to spend an afternoon with visiting children and adult children. Learn more about Kingwood and Arbor Terrace at Kingwood Town Center.