Given that one in every 10 residents of Cobb County is older than 65, seniors in communities like Marietta or East Cobb have plenty of opportunities to make new friends and plenty of activities to enjoy with them.
There are six senior centers in Cobb County (two of them are in Marietta), nonprofit groups that offer senior programming, and senior-based organizations that offer a range of activities for seniors. But for those looking for something a little more off the beaten path, however, these activities for seniors in Marietta, GA, are sure to please:
1. Meetup Senior Activities in Marietta
Social activities organized in Marietta through the social networking app Meetup are a great way to meet new people and to try something new. There are groups for seniors who recently moved to the Atlanta area, groups centered on games and other social activities, and a “Taking Care of You” group for women in North Atlanta, just to name a few. After creating a free account, you’ll be able to join senior groups and browse the different “meetups” they have scheduled. Once you find one you like, you can RSVP through the app. It’s a great way to meet new friends with common interests.
2. Go Back to School and Learn Something New
Georgia residents 62 and older can take classes at any of the 31 colleges in the state college system tuition-free. Simply log on to the websites of local colleges like Chattahoochee Technical College in Marietta, browse class schedules, and apply for free senior-citizen admission. Classes are tuition-free, but some fees apply. It’s a great way for seniors to keep their minds sharp while learning about interesting new subjects.
3. Give Back to the Marietta Community Through Volunteering
For many seniors, accepting help with daily activities and personal activities is a hard pill to swallow. After spending their lives providing for a family, pursuing careers, and contributing to their communities, they hate the idea of feeling “helpless.” There’s good news, though: Volunteering opportunities in Marietta provide an excellent way for seniors to make valuable contributions. Local schools, food pantries, homeless shelters, and nonprofit thrift stores are great ways to socialize and engage with the community while giving back. VolunteerMatch.org is a great way to browse local volunteering opportunities.
4. Enjoy Kennesaw Mountain and Marietta’s Beautiful Surroundings
Set against the backdrop of beautiful Kennesaw Mountain, Marietta is surrounded by natural beauty year-round. Birdwatching is a great way for seniors to enjoy it, and Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park in Marietta is recognized by Atlanta Audubon Society as one of the best birdwatching destinations in the state. Trees lining paved roads in the 3,000-acre park make it safe and easy for seniors to view birds, especially during migration.
5. Experience Marietta's History, Culture, and Folklore First-Hand
History and culture abound in Marietta, and there are plenty of opportunities for seniors to get out and explore. Whether you’re on an outing with local friends or entertaining visiting family, getting out into the community is sure to entertain:
- Historic Walking-Driving Tour: A self-guided walking-driving tour of the Victorian and antebellum homes that line the streets of Marietta’s five National Historic Districts is a great way for seniors to introduce friends and family to their hometown.
- Trolley Tour: An hour-long, narrated ride about the Historic Marietta Trolley allows visitors to explore the history of Marietta’s Downtown Square, tour historic homes, and visit the Civil War battlefield at Kennesaw Mountain.
- Ghost Tours: For the adventurous, walking and trolley ghost tours allow visitors to learn about some of the urban legends and folklore that have been the talk for centuries.
All of the fun activities for seniors in Marietta make it a great place to begin your next chapter. Between active senior social groups, Georgia’s free college tuition for seniors, opportunities to give back to the community, natural beauty, and endless history and culture, it’s no wonder why Marietta has become such a popular retirement destination. To join in the fun, contact The Solana East Cobb to learn more.