If you are ready to explore assisted living in Tinton Falls, you might be wondering how you are going to narrow down your choices in order to pick the best senior living option for your loved one. You can make a more confident decision when you know what to look for, and we have the list of observations you’ll want to make when touring potential communities. Here’s how to get started on your search for assisted living, as well as what to look for during the time you spend in these communities before making your final choice.
How to Narrow Down Your List
Make the job of choosing a bit easier by narrowing down your choices before you tour any communities. Though you may have a full list of assisted living options in the Tinton Falls area, you don’t necessarily want (or need) to contact every community on the list. It can be overwhelming and make decision-making more difficult.
Narrow down your longer list to less than four by:
- Location: Is there a certain area or neighborhood that would be more convenient or comforting? For example, regular visits will surely be easier if the assisted living community isn’t a 45-minute drive away. Or perhaps your loved one has only ever lived in one specific neighborhood that is still full of friends and favorite spots.
- Level of care: Not all senior living communities serve the assisted living population. You can quickly narrow down your choices by eliminating the communities that offer only independent living or skilled nursing services.
- Cost: Assisted living is much more affordable than you may think, especially because your loved one won’t have to worry about regular monthly household bills. However, you can double-check pricing and potentially eliminate some communities based on financial costs.
What to Look for While Touring Communities
Now that you have narrowed your list down to a more manageable number of communities, it is time to see each community up close and personal via a scheduled tour. You can call ahead to set up a time with a staff member, or simply stop by.
A tour is an excellent time to not only see potential apartments and building amenities in action, but also make observations that could help you make your final decision. During your time in the community, look for:
- Residents and staff interaction: Look for a genuine connection and relationship between staff members and the residents who live there. You can see if this relationship exists by watching residents and staff chat in the halls or smile at one another during activities.
- An engaging activity calendar: One of the benefits of living in an assisted living community is the easy access to events, activities, trips, and lectures right on-site. Ask to see a copy of the most recent activity calendar and see if activities happen daily.
- Delicious dining options: If you can, time your tour during a meal so that you can see the dining room in action. Look for a social environment as well as for chef-prepared options that smell delicious.
- Wellness resources: An exceptional assisted living community will be built on a foundation of wellness and health. Look for helpful caregivers and nurses, as well as on-site therapy services or other health resources.
You can learn more about assisted living by downloading our free guide, “The Complete Guide to Assisted Living.” It includes a more in-depth look at assisted living, including levels of care and costs.
Finally, if you would like to see exceptional assisted living and dementia care in action, we invite you to discover Arbor Terrace Shrewsbury. Our team would love to show you what makes our community so special. From compassionate staff members to outstanding activities to wellness resources, we have everything your loved one needs for a healthy and happy retirement.