With its boardwalks, beaches, shopping, and quick access to outdoor activities, Tinton Falls is the perfect place to retire. Older adults who call the Tinton Falls area home are able to enjoy plenty of amenities, along with services designed especially for seniors. The Monmouth County Office on Aging, for example, coordinates programs and events throughout the area, including at senior centers and health clinics.
However, older adults sometimes find that living at home is no longer a safe or desirable option. Seniors living at home alone can feel isolated and lonely, which can lead to a list of physical and mental health concerns. Fortunately, seniors looking for some extra assistance and neighbors don’t have to leave the Tinton Falls area they already know and love. If you are searching for assisted living in Tinton Falls, New Jersey, you can begin your search right in your backyard.
Where to Start Your Search for Assisted Living in Tinton Falls, NJ
Monmouth County offers older adults a variety of options when it comes to senior living. For seniors looking for peace of mind, or an extra hand with household or personal tasks, assisted living can be the perfect fit. To begin your search for assisted living, begin by making a list of all the communities that offer assisted living in your desired location or neighborhood.
Once you have your initial list, you can start the process of narrowing it down. It can be too overwhelming to tour every community on your list, so be sure to cross out the communities that do not suit your needs or preferences. Try asking your friends or neighbors who have had previous experience with senior living communities. Although everyone has a different experience, you can take some of their recommendations to heart while making your list.
You can also use each community’s website to find some information that could shorten your list as well. Perhaps one community is far too expensive, or just doesn’t have any availability for new residents—if so, mark it off your list.
Once you have a list of 3-4 communities, you can begin to schedule tours at each community.
What to Look for When Touring Communities
When you tour a senior living community, you have the chance to make the observations that will lead you to a confident decision about your future living situation. Your tour will be guided by a staff member, and you will make important stops to view apartments, community spaces, and more. However, there are certain things that can tell you even more about the community you’re touring.
- Is the community clean? Housekeeping services are part of the assisted living lifestyle, which can help keep your personal apartment clean. However, common areas, such as the dining room, halls, and outdoor spaces, should also be clean and uncluttered.
- Are the residents smiling? Do they seem happy? Not everyone is happy all the time, and that is OK. However, seeing residents in the halls or common areas who appear to be sad, depressed, sick, or dirty can indicate gaps in care.
- Do the staff members appear to be friendly? Getting to know the team members of a senior living community is a major benefit of living there! Residents and staff should have relationships that are built on friendship and trust. Seeing that staff members call residents by name, visit them, and smile with them, can be a strong indication of this.
- How does the food look? A quick stop in the dining room can tell you a lot about potential future meals in a community. Are residents socializing while eating? Do staff members serve them with a smile? Does the food look and smell good? Are residents offered choices for their meals? These could indicate a thriving dining program.
- Are residents busy and engaged? A lively activity program is another major perk of living in assisted living communities, and you can ask for an event calendar during your tour. Look for regularly scheduled activities that offer multiple ways to get involved. Socialization with others has been linked, in multiple recent studies, to positive health outcomes for older adults.
- Is there dementia care? If you have a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia, a memory care assisted living community can give you the environment you need to succeed and feel your best.
How to Know You Have Made the Right Choice
After you have made your final decision, you may wonder whether you have made the best choice. You can feel more confident by coordinating your move-in with the community, and by starting to get involved in your new home.
If you are looking for exceptional assisted living and dementia care in the Tinton Falls area, be sure to tour Arbor Terrace Shrewsbury. Our community is beautiful, certainly, but the real difference is what happens inside our building. Team members get to know residents and provide care, activities, and dining to represent each individual’s tastes and preferences. We would love to show you what assisted living and dementia care can look like at Arbor Terrace. Call us to set up an appointment for a tour.