Herndon, Virginia, has a rapidly growing senior population, with projections suggesting a “silvering” of the area over the next few decades. State and regional governments have responded by greatly expanding the resources they offer to seniors, including exceptional senior centers, an aging services hotline, and a wide range of senior care resources. Herndon is a great place to consider for an active retirement. The right senior living community makes it easier to remain active as your needs change. Here’s what to look for as you begin your search for active senior living in Herndon, Va.
Reasons to Consider Active Senior Living in Herndon, Va.
Active senior living in Herndon, Va., offers all of the benefits of remaining at home—convenience, privacy, the chance to chart your own course—without all the stress and frustration. Some of the benefits of active senior living include:
- Relief from the demands of homeownership, without having to give up a beautiful place to live.
- Less isolation and loneliness.
- Easy access to activities, special events, and outings, without having to worry about planning or transportation.
- More opportunities to make and spend time with friends.
- Help when you need it, and privacy when you don’t.
- No longer having to worry about how you’ll spend your retirement.
- Alleviating any concerns your loved ones have about your health and well-being during retirement.
- Affordable access to an adventurous retirement.
Where to Start Your Search
Finding the right senior living community can be difficult, especially if you don’t know where to look. The people you love and trust can be a great source for referrals. Talk to friends and family, or to doctors and other healthcare providers, about their views on local independent living communities. Visit your local senior center to see ads for nearby communities, and to ask other seniors for their opinions on their living arrangements.
Once you have a preliminary list, do your homework. Google each community to read reviews and check for any problems. Then check out the community’s online presence, since how a community presents itself offers a lot of information about what you can expect from life in that community.
As you narrow down your options, make a list of the top five or so things you want from your retirement. Then make a longer list of the things you’d like to have, but that are not dealbreakers. This can help guide your decision-making process as you decide which communities to visit.
Questions to Ask
Visiting the community offers a window into daily life. So set aside some time to take a loved one with you for an extra set of eyes. Then visit during an active time, and try to eat a meal.
As you form your first impression, consider how happy the residents seem, whether they are engaged and seem to like one another, and whether you can imagine yourself living in this community.
Then, as you tour the community, ask staff about what matters most to you. Let your list of retirement must-haves guide the conversation. Some good starting points include:
- What level of care does this community offer, and what would happen if my needs changed?
- What specific activities does the community offer each day?
- Do you offer transportation?
- What specific steps do you take to ensure resident safety?
- How do you help residents adapt to life in senior living?
- Is there a waiting list?
- Can I see what a room looks like? Are private homes available?
- What amenities do you offer?
Making the Decision
After you tour each community, spend some time mulling over what you’ve seen. Picture yourself moving into each community. Which community seems like the best fit? Which can you get excited about moving into it?
Talk to your loved ones about their impressions, too, since they may have considered or seen things you did not. After you've made your decision, let the community know right away so they can reserve a unit for you.
Arbor Terrace of Herndon offers luxury active senior living for seniors who crave independence and adventure. We work with you to help shape the perfect retirement, so you can enjoy the many rewards of a lifetime of hard work. We’d love to meet you and talk about your plans. Give us a call or attend one of our special events to learn more!