Atlanta is an excellent place to retire, and seniors throughout its metropolitan area can enjoy a thriving city with plenty of resources geared toward health and wellness at any age. However, not all seniors can—or want—to live at home alone. Assisted living is an excellent option for older adults looking for peace of mind and safety, as well as for easy access to new friends and activities.
If you are starting your search for assisted living in Marietta, Georgia, it can feel overwhelming initially. Fortunately, when you know what to look for, choosing your next senior living community will become much easier.
Starting Your Search for Assisted Living in Marietta, GA
The Atlanta suburb of Marietta is a great place to begin your search for assisted living options. This bustling city offers the peace and quiet of a suburb setting while still providing easy access to Atlanta culture.
Assisted living options throughout Marietta offer residents access to additional assistance throughout the day. Residents living in assisted living communities have their own apartments, but can eat in the dining room for all three meals per day, and rest assured that neighbors are right down the hall. Housekeeping and maintenance needs are all taken care of as well, giving residents the chance to relax and explore new activities, or participate in events throughout the community.
To begin your search, find senior care communities that offer assisted living. Then, narrow down your options based on location to family, friends, and desired neighborhood. Make appointments to take tours so that you can see each community up close.
Things to Look for During Your Search
During your tours, you can catch a glimpse of what it is like to live in each assisted living community. You can also keep your eyes and ears peeled for things that can help you make a responsible and safe decision.
- Ask about the staff and their qualifications. Remember, someone doesn’t have to have decades of experience in assisted living to be an excellent employee, but specialized training and certifications can be useful when providing individualized care.
- Talk about the food and dining room experience. Do residents have choices during mealtime? Does the chef accommodate medically prescribed diets?
- Inquire about medication assistance. Do nurses pass out medication at designated times to decrease the chance of mismanagement, or are there options to have caregivers determine when it is taken?
- Look for security measures throughout the community. Are apartment doors locked, and are keys difficult to manage? Do the community doors close at a certain time, and is there onsite security round the clock?
- Ask to see an activity calendar. Engaging events, programs, and trips are crucial for a thriving and fun assisted living community. Check to be sure there are events offered regularly, and that there is a wide variety of things to choose from. You could even ask to attend an activity as a guest, or meet the staff member who schedules the programs.
While you are on your tour, observe the residents as well. Do the seniors look happy, healthy, and well taken care of? Are the staff members interacting with residents, smiling, and calling them by name? These cues can show you the most important part of senior living: the relationship between residents and staff members.
Choosing an Exceptional Community
Touring communities can narrow down your final options to just a few, and then you can begin to decide which community offers the most exceptional care, opportunities, and experiences.
At Arbor Terrace of Burnt Hickory, we offer assisted living to residents that redefines the standard of care in the industry. Chef-prepared meals, social dining, engaged activities, and compassionate care are the backbone of our service. We would be honored to show you the lifestyle our residents, and their family members, enjoy. Call us to set up a tour of our lovely community.