Marietta, Georgia, is a suburb of Atlanta, but it’s got a personality all its own. From the historic houses to the town square packed with quaint shops and restaurants, and the area’s ties to the Civil War, Marietta is popular with visitors and residents alike.
Senior citizens make up more than 16 percent of the city’s population, according to the World Population Review. Many of those seniors chose to retire in Marietta because of the abundance of resources available to them there. Cobb Senior Services is recognized as one of the leading county-based senior service agencies in metro Atlanta. It operates a network of senior centers to meet the social and emotional needs of its population.
If you or a loved one has decided to retire to Marietta, you may want to think about moving to a senior living community.
Senior living offers retirees the chance to have more freedom and fewer responsibilities so they can truly enjoy their golden years. You’ll have your own space, but someone else will do the chores and cook the meals. A full calendar of activities will help you stay busy, and you’ll be surrounded by companions, some of whom may become close friends.
Questions to ask yourself:
- What is my budget? Some senior living communities are more affordable than others. You don’t want to waste time visiting those outside your budget.
- Would I be willing to share a room or do I need my own space?
- Do I want a small community with a few dozen rooms? Or one that’s big enough to serve 100 residents?
- Is there a specific area I want to live in? You may want to be close to friends or family members, or within driving distance of your favorite shops and restaurants.
- How involved do I plan to be with the activities offered in the community? If you plan to be out doing your own thing, it doesn’t matter how full the community’s calendar is.
When you’ve figured out what you want from senior living, start your search online. Find a few Marietta communities that meet those needs. Now it’s time to pay them a visit. It’s a good idea to show up unannounced to see what they look like on a typical day.
What you need to do while you are there:
- Find out if there are units available, or if there is a waiting list, so that you can see if they’ll be ready when you plan to move.
- Ask to see a unit. Notice the size. Could you be comfortable there? Check to see if the carpet is worn, or if the walls need to be painted.
- Ask for a copy of the dining room menu and make an appointment to come back for lunch to try the food.
- Get a schedule of activities and outings so you can see how frequently they are offered.
- Find out if transportation is available for residents who can’t (or don’t want to) drive.
- Ask what levels of care the community provides. Someday you may need assistance with dressing and bathing or possibly even dementia care. If the senior living community you choose has these levels of care, you won’t have to move again.
Before you make your final decision, you need to ask yourself one last question. “Do I feel at home here?” If the answer is yes, then you’re ready to move in. If not, then you need to keep looking.
Arbor Terrace of Burnt Hickory is well known in Marietta as a premier provider of assisted living and dementia care. Residents say that the luxurious surroundings and the caring staff help them feel at home here.
To visit Arbor Terrace of Burnt Hickory and see if it’s the place for you, call 770-691-0050 and arrange a tour.