About 10,000 people turn 65 each day — a figure that will reach 12,000 in the next few years. With so many new retirees, communities across the globe are adapting to meet the needs of seniors in retirement. For many seniors, exceptional senior living means remaining at home for as long as possible. Much of that commitment to aging in place is rooted in myths about senior living.
The truth is that many seniors are happier in senior living communities, which offer more expansive opportunities for a fulfilling life. Whether you plan to stay at home or are considering a move, here’s what to consider in your quest for exceptional senior living.
Is Your Current Living Situation Working?
If you’re asking yourself what exceptional senior living looks like, chances are good that something about your current living situation isn’t working. Take some time to consider what that might be. Some questions to ask yourself include:
- Are my emotional needs being met at home, or do I feel isolated and bored?
- Do I feel safe at home?
- Is my family concerned about my well-being?
- Does maintaining my home feel exhausting or stressful?
- Am I struggling with finances?
- Do I have a chronic medical condition that might one day mean I need more help?
What Do You Need Most?
Identifying what’s not working can help you determine what you need most. But don’t just focus on absolute needs, like safety and transportation. Exceptional senior living means you enjoy life, rather than just muddling through it. So think about what would really improve your quality of life. These queries can help:
- What’s missing from my diet, and what sort of food do I wish I could eat every day?
- Would housekeeping free up more time to focus on something else?
- Are there new skills I want to learn?
- Do I want to make new friends?
- What activities do I want to be near?
- Are there family members I hope to move closer to?
- Do I need assistance with daily activities?
Armed with the answers to these questions, make a list of the senior living amenities that matter most to you.
Finding Exceptional Senior Living
Exceptional senior living caters to your physical and emotional needs, offering quality food, a cozy home, help from people who truly care, and plenty of activities to ensure that your retirement is full of meaning and joy. As you compare options, ask the following:
- What specific activities does this community offer and at what frequency?
- Can I get help with transportation?
- What are the meal plan options?
- What does each home look like?
- If I eventually need more help, can I remain in this community?
- Does this community offer field trips and other special events?
- What training and experience do the staff have?
- What do residents say about the community? Does it have good reviews?
- What vibe do you get from the community’s website?
- Can you visit whenever you want? Do you feel welcome when you do?
The Arbor Difference
For more than 30 years, Arbor has helped seniors chart a course from where they are to the exceptional retirements they deserve. No matter who you are or what you’re into, we can help you design a retirement that is uniquely you.
Our residents overwhelmingly say they would choose Arbor again. We’d love to welcome you for a visit so you can learn why. For help finding the perfect senior community for your needs, check out our free guide, “Finding a Safe and Comfortable Senior Living Community.”