Fulton, MD, is a small community nestled between two of the nation’s greatest cities, Washington, D.C. and Baltimore. With its active arts community, deep historic roots, and rising property values, it’s a great place to retire, especially for seniors who want the convenience of city living without all the traffic and noise.
If your loved one struggles with the activities of daily living, no longer drives, or cannot safely live alone, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. They may be reluctant to transition to senior living, but the right assisted living community in Fulton, MD, offers greater independence, more socialization opportunities, and the chance to enjoy all that this vibrant town offers. Here’s how to choose the best Fulton, MD, assisted living.
Things to Look for in Fulton Assisted Living Communities
When you begin your search, make a list of the assisted living services and amenities that are most important to you. For example, if your loved one has always been physically active, a robust exercise program or a community gym might be key. After you have an idea of the unique characteristics you seek, look for communities that offer:
- Compassionate, well-trained staff. When you tour the community, spend some time talking to staff. Are they happy and friendly? What’s the turnover rate like? Are employees eager and willing to answer questions?
- A well-kept community. Quality landscaping, regular maintenance, and aesthetic beauty all indicate attention to detail. That attention to detail tells you a lot about how the community will treat your loved one.
- Great dining. The food should be delicious, and the community should be able to cater to a wide variety of preferences and dietary needs.
- Activities. Activities aren’t just a nice bonus. They’re critical to your loved one’s physical and emotional well-being. The transition to assisted living should improve quality of life, so ensure that there is plenty to do. Everyone deserves an enjoyable hobby.
- Location. There’s no single location that will work for everyone, but consider how easily you can visit the community. Will you be fighting traffic every day? Is the community close to where you work, or your home? If you live in Fulton, traveling to Baltimore every day may eat into your limited spare time.
- Reputation. Spend some time reading online reviews. You can’t please everyone, so a single negative review is not necessarily a red flag. But if several negative reviews recite the same problems, or if everyone seems unhappy with the community, look elsewhere.
What to Avoid
When you tour a community watch for these warning signs:
- Residents who seem unhappy or dirty.
- A community that is unsanitary or dilapidated, or that smells bad.
- Few activities, and limited dining options. Good communities do not adopt a one-size-fits-all approach to senior care.
- Unfriendly staff or a high turnover rate.
How Arbor Terrace Fulton Can Help
Arbor Terrace Fulton is Fulton, MD’s premier assisted living community. We offer both assisted living and dementia care, allowing us to cater to your loved one’s needs even if they change. We believe that physical and cognitive impairments should not diminish a senior’s ability to live a meaningful life. We see ourselves as gentle supporters, who work with your loved one to shape the retirement they deserve in spite of any disabilities they face. We’d love to show you why Arbor is the leader in senior living. Give us a call or stop by to learn more!