As the largest state east of the Mississippi by land area, day trips in Georgia can take you from sunny coastal regions to rolling mountains, with scenic trips across green valleys in between. You don’t have to drive across the state to enjoy stunning vistas and exceptional dining.
Crabapple offers plenty of senior-friendly activities that you can enjoy with friends or family. Check out our favorite ways to spend a day in Crabapple.
For the ultimate easy outing, head to the Crabapple Market. This fantastic work-play-live space truly features something for everyone: great food, enticing shops, and plenty of green space to relax and take a deep breath. So put on your walking shoes, grab the grandkids, and spend a day exploring.
A Long Trail Walk
Crabapple is home to some of metro Atlanta’s prettiest and most well-maintained parks. Check out these great options:
- Old Mill Park, which features waterfront views and covered bridges
- Big Creek Greenway, which boasts a wide range of bike trails
- Wills Park, which offers an AstroTurf greenway, swimming pool, and a playground
- North Park, home to meticulous walking trails and bike paths, as well as a pickleball court
- Webb Bridge Park, where your family can enjoy a kids’ playground and a ballfield
Crabapple Senior Center
The City of Alpharetta’s Adult Activity Center is the best place to find a wide range of senior-friendly activities year-round. Enjoy exercise classes in aerobics, yoga, and tai chi. Join a special outing or field trip. Celebrate an occasion in style with other seniors. Or head to one of many seminars on a range of interesting topics. The Alpharetta Golden Age Club, a project of the Adult Activity Center, offers seniors a chance to volunteer in their community while making new friends. Join Breakfast with Santa, the Alpharetta City Band, and the local Easter Egg Hunt as a volunteer.
Stroll a Farmers Market
Want to buy local but don’t have time to check out every small farm in the area? Head to the Roswell Farmers & Artisans Market instead. This outdoor, walkable market features a rich tapestry of local colors and flavors, including handmade jewelry and clothing, self-care must-haves like lotions and oils, and plenty of exceptionally fresh produce.
A Visit to the Orchid Farm
Love the garden but can’t stand the oppressive Georgia summer heat? Head to Rainbeau Orchids. This indoor orchid farm offers thousands of houseplants, so you can turn your house into a lovely garden without the dirt or the humidity.
Other Day Trips in Georgia
The Peach State offers a continuum of cultural touchpoints, geographic landmarks, and natural beauty. You don’t have to stay in Crabapple. Try packing a suitcase, grabbing a friend or a grandkid, and making it a long weekend to remember. Some other great places within driving distance include:
- Savannah, Georgia, one of the oldest and most historic cities in the South. It’s about five hours away from Crabapple, and is surrounded by peaceful barrier islands like Tybee.
- Blue Ridge, Georgia, a friendly mountain town with serene lakes and plenty of options for outdoor fun. It’s less than two hours away.
- Rome, Georgia, where you can visit historic Berry College, stay in beautiful cottages, and visit plenty of delightful local shops.
- Cumberland Island, Georgia, a protected barrier island where wild horses still roam free. It’s about six hours away, but the drive is lovely.
No matter what the ideal retirement looks like to you, Arbor would love to be a part of your plans. We love our Crabapple community and are deeply committed to helping seniors build retirements of purpose and joy — whatever that means to you. Subscribe to our blog to learn more, or for more tips on enjoying your retirement.