Assisted living communities are designed for seniors who are having trouble doing things that used to come easily for them. Maybe you find it hard to walk up the stairs or get in and out of the bathtub. Maybe you’ve become isolated because you no longer drive. Maybe you’ve been forgetting to take your medication.
Living in an assisted living community means there will always be help when you need it, and privacy when you don’t.
If you currently reside in metro Atlanta and have decided to start checking out assisted living communities, you might want to start in Decatur.
Decatur, Georgia, is a small community with a vibrant downtown full of shops and restaurants that attract residents and visitors alike. The city is also home to DeKalb Medical Center, part of the Emory University network of hospitals. And in just a few minutes, you can be in Atlanta to take advantage of all the city has to offer.
There are about a dozen different assisted living communities in Decatur. Some are bigger and might resemble a luxury hotel, while others are smaller and more like someone’s home. Some might have large outdoor living spaces and beautiful gardens, while others have porches with rocking chairs.
But assisted living is more than just a place to live. It’s about providing services that help seniors live their best lives possible in their golden years.
Keeping You Healthy and Safe
One of the main roles of an assisted living community is to take care of its residents’ health.
- You’ll want to find a community that has a doctor on call for emergencies and a nurse on staff to dispense medications.
- It should provide options for staying active, such as a walking club that takes daily strolls around the grounds, or daily exercise classes like chair yoga.
- Meals should be designed to provide adequate nutrition, and the dining room manager should be able to customize meals to meet dietary requirements such as diabetes or food allergies.
- There should be grab bars in the bathrooms by the toilet and shower.
- There should be an elevator to accommodate residents who are unable to take the stairs.
Keeping You Connected Socially
Many studies, such as those conducted by the National Institutes of Health and the Rush University Alzheimer's Disease Center, show how important it is for seniors to stay socially active, not just for their mental health, but also for their physical health. For instance, people who are lonely often have high blood pressure, and people who are more socially active have slower rates of cognitive decline.
When you are looking for assisted living in Decatur, you need to consider the potential for social engagement in your new home.
- Most assisted living communities offer a calendar of activities for their residents. Make sure the activities are things you are interested in and check to see how frequent they are.
- Look for a community with many common areas for residents to gather, whether it’s to watch television or just visit.
- Check to see if the community provides transportation for residents who want to visit places in the community.
- Find out if there are regular group outings available for residents.
Arbor Terrace of Decatur provides superior assisted living and dementia care, keeping residents safe, physically active, and socially engaged. If you’d like to find out if Arbor Terrace is the right place for you, call 404-292-5910 to arrange a tour.