Tucked inside charming Morris County, Morris Plains is an idyllic place to retire. With the hustle and bustle of New York City only an hour to the east, Morris Plains gives residents the peace of suburban life, but with easy access to the culture of NYC. It’s no wonder seniors are flocking to this beautiful town, trading city life for a more relaxed lifestyle.
Senior Resources and Activities in Morris Plains
Senior residents and visitors of Morris Plains have access to a variety of senior resources and activities. For example, the Morris Plains Parks and Recreation Department has specialized programming for adults over the age of 60. Seniors can enjoy facilitated exercise groups, clubs, and even trips to get to know their neighbors.
Residents of any age can enjoy the Theodore Largman Community Garden at ValleVue Preserve. This 3-acre garden space gives community members the opportunity to garden in a designated plot. Perfect for green thumbs and beginners alike, this garden is also beautiful to stroll through even if you don’t have a space of your own.
Hikers, explorers, and bird-watchers can find plenty of trails near the Morris Plains area. Roberts Garden, Mountain Way, and the Traction Line Recreation Trail are just a few options to check out in the neighborhood.
Seniors also have access to a variety of wellness and nutrition programs in the area. The local farmers market is a staple of the community, as are hospital-based wellness clubs designed for seniors. Seniors can also enjoy meals through one of the options of the Morris County Nutrition Project.
Options for Senior Living in Morris Plains, New Jersey
There are also a variety of options for senior living in Morris Plains, New Jersey. From home care to skilled care and every need in between, older adults have options when choosing what their retirement looks like.
- Home care services provide medical or nonmedical (depending on their license) assistance to seniors who live at home. Caregivers come to seniors’ homes at designated times to provide additional assistance with tasks like shopping, meal preparation, transportation, showering, dressing, or medication management.
- Independent living communities give residents access to a luxury lifestyle without the headache of household chores or tasks. This option is perfect for an active older adult who would like socialization and opportunities to enjoy meals with friends in a dining room setting.
- Assisted living communities give residents peace of mind thanks to a staff of caregivers who are ready to provide a helping hand. Residents enjoy their own apartment, with neighbors right down the hall, access to engaging activities, and delicious chef-prepared meals three times per day.
- Memory care communities are specially designed for seniors living with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia. Typically found in a specialized environment within an assisted living community, these neighborhoods provide residents with ability-based activities and assistance throughout the day.
- Skilled nursing facilities, or SNFs, provide complex medical care for seniors living with chronic medical conditions. Staffed with teams of nurses and caregivers 24 hours per day, these facilities can work for short-term rehabilitation or long-term care.
What to Look for in Senior Living Communities
If you are searching for senior living in Morris Plains, NJ, be sure to take comprehensive tours of the communities you are interested in. These tours are a wonderful opportunity to get to know the staff members and observe the overall culture of a community. When touring, be sure to look for:
- Happy, smiling, and clean residents in the hallways.
- Staff members calling residents by name and seeming to have a genuine friendship with them.
- A dining room that features delicious meals, and plenty of options for residents to choose from.
- An activity calendar full of events and trips that seem to take resident interest into account.
- Spacious and well-kept apartments.
- A homelike and overall friendly atmosphere.
At Arbor Terrace Morris Plains, we offer truly exceptional assisted living and dementia care options for our residents. Our staff is dedicated to providing our residents with individualized care that creates meaningful moments and increases quality of life. Come see why our community stands out in the senior care industry by scheduling a tour today.