The Mountainside area offers residents the perfect mix of suburban charm, access to outdoor activities all year long, and a small-town atmosphere where friendly faces are just around every corner. Even better, the Mountainside community has always been supportive of its older adult residents, offering a variety of support services and resources designed for seniors. It’s no wonder seniors love calling Mountainside home!
Fortunately, older adults don’t have to live at home alone in order to enjoy the Mountainside area. The city offers a variety of options for senior living communities for older adults of all needs and ability levels. If you are searching for senior living in Mountainside, New Jersey, begin your search by narrowing down your choices.
Where to Start Your Search for Senior Living in Mountainside, NJ
Thanks to advances in the senior living industry that have been made in order to accommodate the growing number of older adults in America, seniors now have many options when choosing a community. You can begin your search by understanding which senior living option may be best for you or your senior loved one.
- Independent living communities offer residents a luxury lifestyle, but without the hassle of chores associated with owning a home. Residents can enjoy their own apartment while still having neighbors right down the hall, as well as access to occasional wellness services, transportation, and activities.
- Assisted living communities give residents the peace of mind they crave by offering extra help with daily chores and hygiene tasks, as well as medication management and wellness services. Residents are served chef-prepared meals in a social dining room setting three times per day, and can take advantage of a number of weekly activities or events.
- Dementia care communities, typically offered within assisted living communities, give seniors living with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia a specially designed environment and atmosphere that will keep them safe, healthy, and engaged. Staff members are specially trained in dementia-specific interventions.
- Skilled nursing facilities are for seniors living with more complex or chronic medical conditions. Ideal for short-term rehabilitation after an extended hospital stay or for long-term care for more serious medical conditions, these facilities feature access to extensive nursing care round the clock.
Once you know what level of care would work best for your situation, you can begin to narrow down your list based on which communities offer that specific form of care. Then, pare down your list more by searching for communities in your desired location or neighborhood. Then, schedule tours for each community that remains on your list.
Things to Watch for When Touring Communities
The community tour is an important part of your decision-making process. You can learn a lot about a community during your guided tour and can see apartments, recreation space, and even the dining room. However, you can learn even more about the community by making specific observations.
- Observe interactions between staff members and residents. Are the staff members friendly? Do they call residents by name? These observations could help you determine whether the team is committed to relationship-based care with their residents.
- Wave to the residents you encounter along the way. Do they seem happy, healthy, and clean? Residents are the true face of a senior living community, so be sure to observe how they look and seem to feel.
- Ask to sit in on an event or activity. Events and activities are a crucial part of a thriving senior care community. See whether residents are engaged and participating, as well as whether the activity is something you would be interested in doing.
- And speaking of activities, check out the monthly event calendar for the community you are touring. Signs of a thriving community can include regular activities that offer the chance to learn something new, participate in wellness or movement activities, access spiritual practices, or enjoy plenty of social time each week.
- Watch as a meal is served in the dining room. Do residents seem happy with the food? Are residents offered choices? Do the meals look delicious? These indicators could point to an excellent dining program.
Taking the extra time to learn as much as possible about the community can give you a glimpse into what it may be like to become a part of the family there.
How to Know You Have Made the Right Choice
Making your senior living choice can be difficult. However, doing your due diligence to pick the community that is best suited for you or your loved one will allow you to be more confident about doing so. Searching for exceptional senior living in Mountainside, NJ, should include a stop at Arbor Terrace Mountainside. Our community is beautiful, and offers a lifestyle that will keep you feeling your best. But we are more than just a pretty building. Our team members focus on person- and relationship-centered care, creating meaningful moments and events based on the individual preferences of the seniors who live here.
We would love to show you what the Arbor difference can make in your life. Call us today to schedule your tour.