Fernandina Beach is a favorite spot for snowbirds and retirees alike. No wonder the median age has risen to 53. The year-round warmth, excellent economy, and relatively affordable housing all draw seniors and their families. The city has responded with some exceptional senior services. Because Florida is a popular retirement spot, the state also offers considerable support to retirees of all ages and ability levels.
Here are the best services for seniors in Fernandina Beach, Florida.
Activities and Entertainment
Seniors who move to Florida often cite the perfect weather, wide range of restaurants, and endless diversions as primary motivating factors in their decisions. No matter your health or interests, there’s something in Fernandina Beach for you to do. Here are some excellent options:
- Fernandina Beach Life Center. This Center, sponsored by the Nassau County Council on Aging, offers year-round classes and events.
- Senior Centers. These hubs of activity and community offer a wide range of classes, events, and more. Click here for a list of Nassau County’s senior centers. Or to explore senior centers throughout Florida, click here.
- Events through the Department of Parks and Recreation. Join a weekly card-playing group, take senior-friendly trips, or sign up for water aerobics. To find a roster of events, click here.
- Nassau County’s guide to senior-friendly jobs.
- Support groups for seniors with various ailments, such as Parkinson’s and low vision.
Legal and Financial Issues
Aging can bring new legal and financial issues, as well as increasing difficulties managing these challenges. The right lawyer can help you navigate common financial and legal hurdles and ensure your wishes are protected if you’re ever unable to advocate for yourself. Try some of the following resources:
- The Nassau County Bar Association, which can refer you to the right lawyer for your needs.
- The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, a professional organization which offers referrals, seminars, and educational materials.
- Florida’s Senior Legal Services, which includes a free Senior Legal Helpline.
Whether you’re struggling to pay for healthcare or just need assistance to access the right resources, these options can help:
- Florida Shine, which offers information on Medicare, Medicaid, and other senior health insurance programs.
- Florida’s Elder Helpline, which offers assistance with a wide range of issues, from accessing healthcare to finding fun activities.
- Florida’s Consumer Resource Guide, which offers a comprehensive overview of common senior health concerns, as well as a listing of benefits programs for which you might be eligible.
- The Nassau County Council on Aging’s Healthcare Guide, which includes information about discount prescription programs, finding a healthcare provider, accessing Medicare, and more.
Caregivers need help, too. Fernandina Beach is a great place to be a caregiver because of the many caregiver support options available. They include:
- The Central and North Florida Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association.
- Nassau County’s Caregiver Support Group.
- ElderSource. This is Nassau County’s comprehensive guide to all services available to caregivers and the seniors they tend to.
Long-Term Care and Health Planning
What you or your senior loved one needs today might not be what you need tomorrow. So it’s important to develop a comprehensive plan to preserve long-term health and well-being. A number of resources can help:
- The National Respite Network, which provides information on respite care providers, including those covered by Medicare or other government benefit programs.
- Nassau County’s listing of affordable senior housing.
- Nassau County’s guide to basic needs. This webpage features a list of providers who offer free or low-cost everyday basics such as furniture.
- The Florida Department of Elder Affairs’ list of home and community services for seniors who need extra support.
Many seniors find that it’s easier to choose a comprehensive option that addresses their health, social, and financial needs. Senior living communities boast gourmet food, plenty of activities, support for caregivers, beautiful homes, help when you need it, and a chance to age in place as your needs change.
The Arbor Company’s Florida communities serve seniors of all ages, ability levels, and interests. We believe retirement should be fun and meaningful, no matter how old you are and no matter what support you need. To learn more about our innovative model of senior living, give us a call or visit one of our communities.