More than half a million seniors call Tampa home, and hundreds of thousands more seniors flock to Hillsborough County during the winter months as snowbirds. It’s a hub of activity, and there are plenty of resources for seniors in Tampa to stay healthy, active, and engaged.
Sure, it’s important for seniors to find resources on matters like financial planning, senior living, benefits eligibility, and support services in Tampa. But it’s equally important to find resources to connect with other seniors in Tampa and to truly enjoy everything this vibrant city has to offer.
Endless Resources for Seniors in Tampa Await Online
At the turn of the century, fewer than 15 percent of seniors used the internet. Today, close to 70 percent of seniors go online on a regular basis, and a growing number of them are using social media to stay connected, the PEW Research Center has found.
In recent years, social media has become a great resource for seniors in Tampa who want to stay connected to their family and friends—and for seniors who want to meet new friends:
- Meetup: New Tampa Seniors (NTS) is a great example of how Tampa seniors are using technology to stay connected. NTS, a social group for people over 60 that’s 90 members strong, uses a social networking app called “Meetup” to organize about a dozen social events each month. NTS members take in shows at the Straz Center for the Performing Arts, go on guided tours and boat rides, and meet for lunch in the Tampa area. You can browse and RSVP for events through the app.
- Facebook: Simply searching “Tampa seniors group” on Facebook yields a wide range of opportunities to connect with area seniors with varying interests. There are senior groups built around everything from casual sports to community service to spiritual growth.
- Other Means: Tampa senior centers and senior-based organizations in Hillsborough County maintain online calendars that are a great resource for seniors who want to engage.
If you or your loved has never used the internet, don’t be intimidated. Learning how to log on will open up a new world of resources for seniors in Tampa. Research shows that three-quarters of seniors who learn how to use social media become highly engaged and log on at least once a day.
Getting Answers to Your Questions About Tampa Senior Living
Regardless of whether you’re a lifetime Tampanian, or you’re considering making a new home there, you probably have questions about topics such as benefits eligibility, support services, financial planning, senior living options, and residency requirements, just to name a few.
Luckily, government agencies and nonprofit groups stand ready to find answers to any question that Tampa seniors can dream of:
- State of Florida Seniors Guide provides relocation and residency resources, retirement calculators, information about insurance discounts, employment assistance, insurance discounts information, and more. The guide also includes resources on assisted living options in Tampa, life planning, elder law, and elder rights. These resources benefit both longtime Florida residents and snowbirds alike.
- Hillsborough County Aging Services connects seniors to a range of resources and services. It can help you find senior centers and nutrition and activity centers that provide free activities and services, arrange for transportation to appointments, and enjoy classes and activities tailored for seniors, to name just a few of its helpful resources.
- Senior Connection Center is a Tampa-based nonprofit that offers a helpline for seniors to call, information on Medicare benefits eligibility, free health and wellness programming, and fun activities for seniors.
- Senior living communities are staffed with senior care coordinators who can be great resources to gauge care needs, explore senior living options, put together a financial plan, and help coordinate the logistics of a move into senior living.
Moving can be a stressful, overwhelming experience no matter what stage of life you’re in. It’s important to remember that there are many resources for seniors in Tampa to answer questions about senior living, benefits eligibility, financial planning, and coordinating care. That’ll help you or your loved one join the hundreds of thousands of seniors who make Tampa one of the country’s most active, vibrant cities for retirees.