Nineteen percent of Pompano Beach, Florida, residents are older than 65. This figure is rapidly rising thanks in large part to the exceptional life seniors can expect in this warm and inviting city. The right resources can help you make the most of your retirement, whether you crave an action-packed life filled with adventure or a quiet chance to rest and reflect. Here are the most helpful resources for senior citizens in Pompano Beach.
Things to Do
When you were working or raising kids, you might have fantasized about how you would eventually spend all your free time in retirement. Now that retirement is here, figuring out what to do with all the extra time can prove challenging. Here are some great ways to pass the time:
- Visit the Center for Active Aging, which offers daily activities and special events as well as transportation to and from the Center.
- Check out one of Broward County’s many senior centers, which boast community meals, support groups, classes, and much more.
- Join SilverSneakers, a free fitness program with locations near Pompano Beach.
- Check out the calendar of events at the Aging and Disability Resource Center of Broward County. Attend a golf tournament, join the Seniors Got Talent competition, and more.
Join Club 55+, which offers membership to 12 Fort Lauderdale city parks for just $55. Enjoy ballroom dancing, arts and crafts classes, and dozens of special events with this membership.
Financial and Legal Help
Managing your finances can prove challenging as you age, especially if you’re withdrawing from multiple retirement accounts. It’s also important to plan for the future by working with a lawyer who can help you protect your assets. The following resources can help you manage the legal and financial challenges of retirement:
- The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax filing assistance to people who make less than $50,000 per year.
- Florida’s Senior Legal Helpline can answer your questions about aging, money, and estate planning.
Contact the Florida Bar Association for help finding an expert in elder law.
Health and Nutrition
As you age, a healthy lifestyle becomes a major predictor of long-term health and well-being. Try these resources to improve your health:
- Florida’s Alzheimer’s Disease Initiative offers a number of resources to prevent and manage dementia, as well as a research program and memory care clinics for seniors already diagnosed with dementia.
- The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), once known as food stamps, provides food vouchers to low-income people, including seniors.
- Meals on Wheels of South Florida offers meal delivery services and brief check-ins from friendly volunteers.
- The Congregate Meal Program offers daily meals in a community setting alongside volunteers and other seniors. Check out Broward County’s Congregate Meal sites to enjoy a daily sit-down meal with peers.
The Department of Elder Affairs Health and Wellness Program offers health education and promotion programs such as fall prevention seminars and advice about accessing evidence-based healthcare.
As you age, your needs may change. The right combination of resources can help you remain as independent and healthy as possible, whether you live at home, with a loved one, or in a senior living community. Find help through these resources:
- Community Care for the Elderly (CCE) offers a wide range of services and resources to help seniors live in their homes longer. Access adult daycare, respite programs, home safety programs, and more.
- The National Family Caregiver Support Program offers support to friends and family caring for seniors.
- Comprehensive Assessment and Review for Long-Term Care Services (CARES) is a pre-admission screening program that offers assessments for seniors considering nursing care.
- The U.S. Administration on Aging Eldercare Locator connects you to an array of senior care and living options, including daycare, in-home help, and senior living communities.
The Preserve at Palm-Aire is proud to be your one-stop resource for all things aging-related. We offer luxury senior living that includes field trips, live music, numerous daily activities, and a commitment to helping you live the retirement of your dreams. We’d love to meet you and learn how we can help you shape the perfect retirement. Give us a call to learn more!