Bergen County, New Jersey, offers residents of all ages a beautiful landscape, shopping, and trendy restaurants, all within an hour’s commute to New York City. With nationally recognized schools, a thriving tourism economy, and a park system totaling more than 9,000 acres, it’s no wonder seniors want to retire here.
If you already love the area, you won’t have to look far to find independent living in Bergen County. However, you may be wondering how to get your search for the perfect senior living community started. We have everything you need to help make the decision-making process as smooth as possible.
What to Look for When Searching for Independent Living in Bergen County
Fortunately, the Bergen County area already offers many resources and support services that are dedicated to older adults. For example, there are multiple county-run senior centers, an active senior farmers market program and congregate meal program, and a senior wellness discount program.
However, older adults living at home may want to explore independent living in Bergen County as an alternative to owning a large home. Independent living communities offer residents access to a luxury retirement lifestyle, free from the obligations of homeownership. Seniors choosing to live in an independent living community can enjoy access to wellness services, housekeeping services, friendly neighbors, a dining room, and engaging activities.
If you are searching for independent living communities, it is wise to look for communities that have amenities you will use and enjoy, as well as a solid reputation. Here are a few things to look for:
- Wellness services, such as visiting nurses, physicians, or specialists holding office hours onsite
- Engaging and exciting programming, including trips, exercise classes, new learning opportunities, and spiritual programming suited to your preferences
- A vibrant dining room that offers a selection of delicious entrees for at least one meal per day
- A spacious apartment, with plenty of shared community space for additional entertaining
- Housekeeping services and transportation services
- Friendly and competent staff with experience serving older adults
- Wi-Fi, as well as access to technology onsite
- Friendly neighbors who love where they live
How to Start Your Search
Now that you know what to look for when you are searching for independent living in Bergen County, you can begin your search. First, be sure you are looking for senior living communities that specialize in independent living. There are multiple levels of care in the senior care industry, including assisted living and memory care, so be sure to look for communities that offer independent living.
Next, narrow down your search based on your preferred location or neighborhood. You may choose to be near family members, or in a neighborhood you’ve always loved. In either case, you can eliminate some communities if they are too far away from your preferred area.
After you’ve narrowed down your list, you can begin to ask the opinions of your family members and friends. If someone you know has lived in a particular community, ask them about that experience. What did they like—and dislike—about the community? Although everyone has a different experience, you can take enthusiastic referrals to heart, and narrow down your list even further.
Finally, before you make a decision, be sure to take a tour of the community. During your time there, you will get a glimpse into what life may be like if you move in. Look at apartments, the shared community space, the dining room, and the activity calendar to gain all the information you’ll need to make the best possible decision.
Things to Consider Before Making a Decision
Before you make your final choice, be sure to consider a few details that are crucial to your happiness:
- Cost-effectiveness—determine whether living in a community is less expensive, or comparable, to your current living expenses.
- Atmosphere—when you toured, did the community and the residents feel friendly and healthy? If so, the community might have a culture of wellness you’d enjoy.
- Reputation—senior living communities do not always have decades of experience serving older adults. Look for a community that has the staff—and the management—with the most experience and expertise.
Are you ready to experience the best senior living community in Bergen County? Arbor Terrace Teaneck serves residents with dignity and respect, in a beautiful community full of amenities you will love. Consider our community when making your list of “must-see” independent living communities. Call to set up your tour today!