Have you ever wondered what your life could look like in a senior independent living community? You wouldn’t be alone; many older adults are curious about the variety of retirement options available today. One estimate suggested that nearly 835,000 Americans were living in some type of senior living community in 2016, and that number is expected to continue to increase as older adults discover the significant benefits of living among their peers.
Nowadays, seniors have multiple options to choose from as they retire (and even before they retire). Independent living offers senior apartments for residents in addition to amenities that truly make retirement some of the best years yet.
What Is Independent Living?
Senior living communities come in different sizes and cater to different levels of care. Independent living communities focus on serving active older adults who do not need complex medical care and who can safely live at home without major support.
Independent living communities are ideal for seniors who:
- Feel lonely or wish they had more opportunities to see friends daily
- Want easy access to wellness amenities such as in-house exercise groups, swimming pools, or walking paths
- Would feel better if they had round-the-clock security watching out for them
- No longer want the hassle of household tasks like mowing the lawn or cleaning a large home
- Want to downsize their large house for an easier-to-manage senior apartment
- Desire access to transportation around town so that they don’t have to drive if they don’t feel like it
- No longer feel like cooking for themselves three times daily
Searching for Senior Apartments
When you begin your search for senior apartments within independent living communities, it helps to know what to look for during your tours. However, before you can begin setting up tours, you must first narrow down your search. You can shorten your list by looking for independent communities that:
- Are in the location or neighborhood you prefer. This desired location could be near your loved ones or in the part of town you have always loved.
- Cater to your current and future needs. If you have recently been diagnosed with a medical condition that will progress over time, ensure that the independent living communities you are looking at have access to in-home assistance through home health partners.
- Offer the retirement lifestyle you seek. This could mean searching for communities that are near forest preserves and trail systems or finding communities that offer golfing trips regularly.
- Feature senior apartments that are suitable for your needs, preferences, and budget.
Now that you have narrowed down your choices, you can begin touring these communities to see the lifestyle in action. While taking tours, inquire about:
- Social opportunities. One of the biggest benefits of independent living is the availability of daily events, trips, and activities. Ensure that the community you are touring has an active social calendar and that you see at least a few events happening while you are there.
- Dining menus. Residents in independent living communities enjoy chef-prepared meals three times daily in a social dining room setting. Ask to see an example of a menu or if you can enjoy a meal in the dining room.
- Wellness amenities. You should choose a senior living community that has the wellness resources and support you’ll need to stay as healthy as possible. Look for a wellness program run by a nurse, regular health fairs, or lectures on the activity calendar, as well as in-house exercise programs.
- Housekeeping and concierge services. These “extras” add to a feeling of home and comfort, giving you a true taste of resort-style living.
Independent living communities are vibrant and thriving places to live. You’ll love choosing the perfect senior apartment within the perfect senior community. If you are searching for exceptional amenities in a resort-style setting, be sure to call the Arbor Company community near you. For more than 30 years, we have perfected how we joyfully serve our residents.
Learn more about your senior living options and how to choose the community that is best for you by downloading our free guide, “The Journey to Senior Living.” Best of luck as you choose your next step in retirement!