If you’ve ever wondered if senior living could be the best option for you or your aging loved one, you aren’t alone. Senior living communities are in nearly every town, and there are many benefits to choosing to retire among peers. However, it can still be a difficult decision to make when it means moving out of a long-beloved home and neighborhood.
Choosing to move into an assisted living community before a health crisis arises is the best-case scenario. The senior and their family members can take their time to make an informed decision as they find the perfect fit. Unfortunately, many older adults and their family members are unsure as to whether assisted living could be the right answer. Here are some helpful hints to keep in mind as you determine whether assisted living is the best next step.
All About Assisted Living
Assisted living here in the East Cobb area is regulated by the state of Georgia. Each community must follow certain regulations in order to stay in compliance and good standing with the Georgia Department of Community Health and keep its license. However, just because all assisted living communities share the same state regulations, this does not mean that they’re all the same.
Each assisted living community is unique, offering a variety of amenities and lifestyle options for its residents. Each community also offers caregivers who are ready to assist with personal care tasks and a housekeeping team to help with household chores. Meals are served in a social dining room setting, and activities are available throughout the day.
Is It Time for Assisted Living?
Every senior is different and each situation is unique. However, there are a few signs that assisted living could be the best (and healthiest) next decision for you or your loved one.
- You have fallen at home at least once in the past few months or you have been to the hospital because of a fall in the past year. The Centers for Disease Control reports that 1 in 4 adults who are 65 or older fall each year. Further, falls are the No. 1 cause of injuries and death from injury, making it a serious senior health concern.
- You find that you no longer wear your favorite outfits because your arthritis makes maneuvering the buttons, snaps, or clasps difficult.
- You are afraid to shower because you don’t always feel physically stable when standing on the slick shower floor.
- You feel lonely and miss having regular conversations with your friends or neighbors.
- You have multiple prescription and over-the-counter medications to take throughout the day, at different times and in different doses.
- You find yourself skipping meals because it seems like a hassle to cook or prepare food for just yourself.
- You have a condition or chronic pain that is difficult to manage on your own.
- You don’t drive anymore and miss the freedom of it immensely.
- You worry about your blood pressure or blood sugar levels and wish you had someone nearby to reassure you that everything looks fine.
- You don’t have a face-to-face visit with someone each day of the week.
- You’d love the chance to take an exercise class or participate in an art workshop, but you can’t make it to your local senior center regularly.
Assisted living communities are bustling hubs of activity. You can find the socialization, support, and peace of mind you need to make your retirement years your happiest yet.
Searching for Assisted Living in East Cobb
Not all assisted living communities are outstanding, but it can be difficult to make the best decision if you don’t know what to look for. When touring assisted living communities in the East Cobb area, be sure to make these observations, because they can point to an exceptional and quality community.
- Spacious apartments designed with seniors in mind
- Nutritious meals served three times per day in a social dining room
- Multiple activities offered each day, including weekends
- Regular transportation for errands, fun trips, and medical visits
- Compassionate caregivers who interact genuinely with residents
- Residents who look healthy and feel great
- Access to support services such as occupational or physical therapy
To observe the gold standard in senior living in action, schedule your personal tour of Arbor Terrace of East Cobb today. We would love to show you what makes our community so special.