If you’re considering assisted living as a potential retirement option for yourself or a loved one, you already know that there are many factors that can affect your final decision. For many seniors living on a fixed income in the Roseland area, the cost of assisted living is a major determinant when choosing senior living options. Fortunately, assisted living is likely not as expensive as you may think when you consider everything that comes with the lifestyle.
What Is Assisted Living?
Assisted living communities in Roseland are regulated by the New Jersey Department of Health. This means that every assisted living community is bound by its rules and recommendations, which are designed to keep residents healthy and safe. Assisted living communities offer apartments that residents can decorate to feel just like home, and delicious meals three times per day. Residents in assisted living also enjoy socializing with neighbors and have peace of mind knowing helpful caregivers are always nearby.
Is Assisted Living Right for You?
There are many communities in the Roseland area that offer assisted living. Though each of these communities is bound to the same federal and state regulations, each assisted living community has its own additional amenities, environment, and atmosphere.
Assisted living could be right for you or your loved one if:
- There has been a fall at home in the past few months, or a fall that resulted in a visit to the emergency room in the past year.
- There are feelings of loneliness or sadness.
- Meal planning and preparation is not happening daily, or if there have been significant changes in weight in the past three months.
- There is a fear of attempting to shower or perform other personal care tasks.
- There are chronic pain issues.
- There was a recent diagnosis of a complex medical condition.
- There are different dosages of multiple medications to be taken throughout different times of the day.
Assisted living communities are designed to provide easy access to personal care assistance, nutrition, socialization, and medical management all while promoting independence and relationships with peers.
What Is the Cost of Assisted Living?
Assisted living communities typically charge a monthly fee that includes the majority of services, care, and other amenities. Our free cost calculator can help you determine how much you are currently spending on living at home and how that compares to assisted living fees.
However, consider the money that you or your loved one spend to live at home alone or with a partner:
- Mortgage payments, property taxes, and homeowner insurance
- Utility payments, including television and Wi-Fi
- Costs associated with lawn maintenance
- Costs associated with housekeeping services
- Grocery costs
- Costs associated with in-home assistance or caregiver visits
- Transportation costs (rideshares or cab rides, car maintenance, and so on)
Living in an assisted living community eliminates most of these fees. Assisted living communities typically include the following services or perks:
- A spacious apartment (no taxes or insurance required)
- Utilities including Wi-Fi
- Housekeeping and maintenance services
- Three chef-prepared meals served in a social dining room
- 24-hour access to caregivers and additional support such as medication management
- Transportation services
- Engaging activities and events to attend at no additional cost
How to Choose a Community
Assisted living is affordable, and it offers an environment designed to keep residents feeling healthy and happy. However, not all communities are created equal. When you search for an assisted living community, be sure to observe:
- Staff: Do the caregivers seem to have genuinely good relationships with residents?
- Environment: Is the community clean and beautiful?
- Apartments: Are apartments decorated in each resident’s style? Are they built for entertaining as well as safety?
- Care: Are there levels of care to ensure that your loved one will be able to live in the community for years to come?
- Dementia care: Is there a dementia care neighborhood in the community in case there are cognitive challenges down the road?
- Food: Are the meals delicious and nutritious? Do residents have a choice in what they eat?
- Activities: Is there a calendar of engaging activities, events, and trips for residents to enjoy daily?
To see exceptional but affordable assisted living in action, make time to visit Arbor Terrace Roseland. Our community offers outstanding care from passionate caregivers who are dedicated to cultivating meaningful relationships with each of our residents. We would be honored to show you around during a personalized tour or to schedule a time for you to enjoy a meal or activity in our community.