Teaneck, NJ, is a great place to retire. Ranked among the best places to live in New Jersey, this beautiful suburb of New York boasts a responsive government, an engaged community, and plenty of enticing entertainment and support options for seniors of all ages and ability levels.
Here are some great support services to lean on as you settle into retirement.
Entertainment and Transportation
To stay active for the entirety of your retirement, check out these great options:
- The Teaneck Senior Services Center offers seasonal programming, special events, and more. Enjoy ballroom dancing, tai chi, pilates, and lots of other options for remaining physically active.
- Teaneck Senior Services offers transportation to some of its events. If you need transportation to a medical appointment, the Department of Recreation can help. The department offers transportation via a van or bus five days a week. Contact the department for more details.
- Teaneck is home to several well-maintained parks that include covered eating areas, tennis courts, and more. You can even reserve a park for an event or party.
- If you love eating locally grown food, connecting to your community, and dining on freshly grown produce, check out the Teaneck Farmers’ Market.
- Love sports but hate the high prices and large crowds of big sporting events? Invest in the local team instead. Attend a high school sporting event.
Many seniors provide care to ailing loved ones, including spouses with dementia. Others receive care from family members. Whether you’re a senior care provider or a family caregiver supporting a senior, these support options can help lighten the load:
- Sign up for support through Bergen County’s Caregivers’ Services, which offers a newsletter, support groups, and more.
- Attend one of many local support groups, such as the Caregivers to the Elderly Self-Help Group at Senior Services of Teaneck.
- Get help from the Statewide Respite Care Program, which offers respite care for family caregivers.
- Join the Greater New Jersey Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association, which offers education, training, advocacy, and caregiver support.
Legal and Financial Concerns
Protecting your money can help you preserve your independence. Planning for the future can offer peace of mind today. And thinking about your healthcare goals should your needs change can ensure you retain control. These resources can help you plan for your legal and financial future:
- Contact Legal Services of New Jersey, which offers legal support to low-income people of all ages.
- Contact the Elder and Disability Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association for help contacting a skilled lawyer who specializes in senior needs.
- Reach out to Volunteer Lawyers Justice, which can connect you to a pro bono lawyer who has expertise in senior care issues.
Healthcare and Senior Living
As you age, navigating the healthcare system can prove challenging. Finding the right senior living and healthcare resources can feel exhausting, taking time away from all the things you’d rather be doing. These options can help:
- Visit New Jersey’s Aging and Disability Resource Connection, which offers a vast array of support services, such as help finding insurance and referrals to senior living communities.
- The U.S. Administration on Aging’s Eldercare Locator can help you find quality senior care and senior living solutions in Teaneck and beyond.
- The Division of Aging Services can connect you to quality adult day care programs that keep you safe, engaged, and supported.
Arbor Terrace of Teaneck offers a continuum of senior care, including independent living geared toward seniors who crave more vibrant and active lifestyles. No matter what you need or how aging affects your family, we’re here to help. Give us a call to talk to one of our senior care counselors about your options. We can’t wait to talk to you!